April 05, 2006

A Gratitude Lesson

What kid wouldn't love to go play on this fantasy pirate ship & castle indoor play gym? It has wavy and spiral slides, 2nd story suspension bridges, multiple climbing levels, a roped obstacle course, those large inflatable bouncy balls, a mother goose nursery rhyme scavenger hunt, lots of room to move and run, and a special area for the littlest ones. Oh, and it's designed so parents can play in it too. It's for a pretty penny though, unless you go during the "nappy hour" from 11:00-1:00, then it's only $5 per kid (parents free w/ a paid kid's admission).

Since it has been quite a rainy spring break, I thought I would splurge and take the kids as a special treat. So we got everyone ready and drove to the other side of town during nappy time. Bud and Cutie were thrilled the whole hour and 1/2 we were there. Ant, however, after 10 minutes of trying everything out, whined that he'd rather go to the other play gym at ___.

I thought: You mean the one half the price of this one during "nappy time"? The one that has no spiral slides, no mother goose scavenger hunt, and no fantastic theme? You mean the one with a "suspension bridge" two inches from the floor? The one that parents get to sit and watch their children play, or read a good book while pretending to watch their kids play? The one that's just 5 minutes away from our house?

Then I thought: You ungrateful little &$%^ boy.

What I said: "Ant, you're supposed to say 'Oh, Momma, thank you for bringing us here' and then the next time we plan to go play somewhere you can say 'Can we please go to the play gym at ___,' because right now, I feel like I don't want to take you anywhere for a long, long time."

He went back to play.

Today I took the kids to go ice skating with my in-laws and my sister and nephews. Oh how the boys had fun skating and crashing while Cutie and I watched from the side. There's a Blimpie's at the rink and I thought we could eat lunch there as another special treat. We got turkey sandwiches, huge sugar cookies (one for each kid) and water to drink. As we were eating, Ant whined, "Why do you always have to get me WATER to drink?" There must have been something in the way I said "We'll talk about it later", because a few minutes later he hugs me and says "Oh, Momma, thank you for bringing us here!"

He's learning.

2 comments:

Kathryn Thompson said...

You are a good momma. I have such a hard time keeping my cool when Laylee acts like that. But it sounds like you're teaching them well. They just want to share their opinions and exert their individuality so badly. Sometimes it hits me a bit raw. We learn too, I guess.

Brooke said...

The place is Kidventure Island at Imagymnation in Eagle